Giovanni's Shrimp Truck is unmistakable with it's graffiti-covered white shrimp truck. It is the oldest shrimp truck on Oahu's north shore.
Their specialty is garlic shrimp with large chunks of garlic in the sauce.
On our way to Turtle Bay, we began to see Shrimp truck after Shrimp Truck. I had heard of Giovanni's and decided to give it a try. Sone decided to have Shrimp Scampi and I decided to have Garlic Shrimp. At $13 a plate, I was not sure what to expect. We had never eaten at a food truck before and were not sure what we'd be getting. Located on the side of the road, saddled against a picnic shelter and a Shave Ice Truck was Giovanni's. I quickly checked Yelp, and was pleased to see that there was a coupon for a free drink (hooray!).
Families a few tips:
1. You can share the shrimp. You get about 12 and 2 scoops of sticky rice. Ask for an extra plate and divide the food up. Son and I were not able to eat all 24 shrimp and 4 cups of rice. If you need more rice, two extra scoops is only $1.00.
2. They sell garlic hot dogs in case your kids don't like shrimp
3. The bathrooms are gross. One was broken and the other out of service when we went (essentially, I guess they were both out of service...)
4. It's a food truck. If someone in your party has a shrimp allergy, do not feed them anything from the truck. Husband made this mistake and paid dearly for it.
5. Saving the best for last here--ask the lady behind the counter for a Sharpie so your kids can sign the truck. This might have been my child's favorite part--writing on a truck? Too awesome.
If you love shrimp, this is the place to go. They have all different kinds and it's not that expensive, either. I would much rather eat here than at an expensive restaurant. The shrimp is fresh, and served with sides and rice, which is the traditional Hawaiian fare. I just wish the had them all over the island!
If you love garlic and shrimp, then a stop to Giovanni's Shrimp Truck is a must! Make sure you bring along some extra wipes because it can get a little a messy. Also, if you arrive at a busy time, be prepared to wait.
The only downside is that the shrimps are not shelled. I ended up spending more time taking the shells off for my daughters than I did eating my shrimp. Still, it was delicious!
There are lots of picnic-type tables for you to enjoy your meal, however, you may have to share yours with other people. It's not a big deal, though. You'll find that everyone is in pretty much a good mood and enjoying their shrimp.
We were driving along to coast of Oahu approaching the North Shore when I shouted to my husband "pull over! Its Giovannis!". I had heard of Giovannis and there is was out in the middle of nowhere with tons of people lined up for some shrimp. I chose the spicy shrimp. It had a warning which stated it was very spicy and that there were no refunds which made me all the more excited to try it. Oh yeah! They were incredibly spicy but oh so good! The garlic shrimp is fantastic as well. my husband got a shave ice as well and it was delish. You have to try Giovannis if you ever see that famous truck on the side of the road. Its a part of the real Hawaii that nobody should miss.