A large used bookstore with impressive features and great prices on books.
This bookstore is unique and worth a visit. It is located in the heart of downtown LA in the historic district and is in an old building itself. The first floor has top notch books like a bookstore but at discount prices. The children's section had a great selection of classics, new lit, Hardy Boys, and old hardbound books. There is a vaulted room with old books with a classic vaulted door the kids were fascinated by.
On the second floor is a variety of art displays with books as the central feature: a book arch, book frame, and flying books. The labyrinth of used books for $1 was a fantastic and overwhelming room.
We could have spent hours especially without kids looking at books all afternoon, but it was fun to look through the children's books and see the art displays and fantastic things they did with books.
* There is a bag check station in the entrance at 5th street.
* You can't take merchandise upstairs, but there is a check station near the stairs on Spring Street.
* There are no public restrooms
* There are several pay parking lots nearby. Check their website for details.
* There were some shady characters wandering the streets outside but we felt relatively safe. Keep kids close due to busy streets and pedestrians.