Apr 1-Oct 31: Mon-Sat 9am-5pm, Sun. 1pm-5pm
Nov 1-Mar 31: Mon- Sat 9am-4pm, Sun. 1pm-4pm
Closed during holidays.
The chapel, now used for concerts and other special events, was built in 1867 under the supervision of General Robert E. Lee, president of the college from the end of the Civil War until his death in 1870 (when the name of the college was changed to include his name). The brick chapel contains Lee’s office, Lee family memorabilia, and a famous portrait of George Washington by Charles Willson Peale. A white marble sculpture of the recumbent Lee by Edward Valentine is behind the altar, a solemn but impressive sight. Lee and his family are buried beneath the chapel on the museum level. Lee’s beloved horse Traveler is interred in a marked plot outside Lee’s office. The museum is wheelchair accessible.