Dunn Place Built 1770-1771 as Episcopalian parsonage for Rev. Uzal Ogden. Rev. Clarkson Dunn opened classical school here in 1825. Enlarged 1868 and sold to Levi Sheppard.
77 Main St. Newton Academy (1801-1870) built 1807 with bell-steeple. Sold 1830 and outfitted as dry-goods store of Hall & Johnson. Old Newton Burial Ground in rear of lot.
61 High St. Built 1819 for George McCarter. Renovated 1891 by Simeon Cook for Dr. Ephraim Morrison by replacement of kitchen wing and addition of bay windows.
53 High St. Oldest portion built 1810 by John Waterman & Dilman Daub, brewers. Brick front townhouse completed 1819 by William Beach, tailor and merchant. Dr. Jonathan Havens added extension to rear in 1873.
113 Main St. Rev. Joseph Shafer built oldest portion in 1813. Purchased 1836 by David Ryerson, president of Sussex Bank, and enlarged. After his death in 1865, it became residence of his daughter Emma Barrett.
Sussex Courthouse Original courthouse built 1762-65, burned 1847. Greek Revival design by Amos A. Harrison, built by Fowler & Anderson. Completed April 1848 at cost of $13,583.
9 Union Place. Greek Revival mansion built for merchant Michael B. Titman in 1854.
22 Liberty St Brick Italianate residence designed by Chauncey Graham for Jacob Swayze, merchant and banker, in 1862.
19 Church St Mansard Brick house built 1869 for Lyman Edwards. William Dutcher, officer of Merriam Shoe Company, purchased 1883. Brick tower added 1900; brick barn built 1901.
105 Main St. Mansard frame residence built 1869 for David Hull, merchant and bank president, at cost of $12,000.
111 Spring St Erected 1869 by Capt. James Fitts. Frank Hough added upper story and extension to Moran Street in 1891. Store of Jacob Carber from 1901 to 1936.
21 Main St Brick Gothic residence of dentist Robert Sheppard built 1873. Four story addition at rear built 1880.
121 Main St. Carpenter Gothic built for John C. Howell, cashier of Merchants National Bank and Civil War veteran, in 1873.
131 Main St. Queen Anne Revival mansion of Henry Merriam, shoe manufacturer, built 1883, with Stable and Coachman’s Cottage. Greenhouse attached to parlor enlarged 1889. Merriam died in 1900, bequeathing house, original furnishing and maintenance fund to Presbyterian Church for minister’s retirement home. Large dormitory at rear added 1901.
156 Spring St. Romanesque residence and billiard parlor designed by John Merriam and built 1896 by O’Donnell & McManiman for Margaret Cortelyou at cost of $20,000.
92 Main St Granite Romanesque mansion built 1901 for Thomas Bentley, silk manufacturer.
63 High St Erected 1901 by Thomas Farrell for lawyer Theodore Simonson. Became funeral home in 1935.
182-190 Spring Built 1905 for Donato Concilio with two store rooms. Enlarged by 20’ in 1910.
Lower Spring St. Newton Freight Station. First concrete station built by Delaware, Lackawanna & Western. Designed by F.J. Neis and completed 1907. Enlarged 1889-90.
82 Main St Hill Memorial, home of Sussex County Historical Society, designed by Henry T. Stephens and built by gift of Joshua Hill in Renaissance Revival style. Dedicated 1917. Listed State and National Historic Registers 1985 as oldest museum building in NJ.
234 Spring St Newton Theatre, designed by Reily & Hall for Newton Amusement Corporation and built 1924 of structural steel, tapestry brick and ornamental stonework by William Houghton.
93 Spring St Sussex & Merchants National Bank designed by Crow, Lewis & Wick in Georgian Revival style of red brick and limestone with Corinthian pilasters and pediment, built 1927.
4 Park Place. Two-story addition (east) to original bank (1903) and granite façade with Art Deco flourishes designed by Holmes & Winslow and built 1924-25 by William Houghton.
Buildings on the tour are open 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Tuesday through Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Saturday, and 2:00 to 5:00 p.m. Sunday.
You’ll find a number of historically significant sites on the Historic Newton Walking Tour, which includes 105 buildings. Among the sites on the tour are Murray’s Mill, a fully restored corn and gristmill; and St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, a two-story log, weather-boarded church that includes the balcony where slaves sat during services and a cemetery with tombstones in German dating back to 1771. Also on the tour is the Catawba County Museum of History.